Proportion of Amblyopia in Strabismus Patients.

Hamza Ali, Shakil Ahmad, Asad Aslam Khan


Objectives: To determine the prevalence of amblyopia in strabismus patients and to find the degree of strabismus amblyopia by different investigations methods e.g. comparing visual acuity with pre and post refraction method, viewing eccentric fixation, fundus examination and by cross fixation behavior. Another objective was to determine the prevalence of strabismus amblyopia gender wise. Material and Methods: A cross sectional study was conducted on the patients presenting at Paedriatic Eye Clinic Institiute of Ophthalmology Mayo Hospital/KingEdwardMedicalUniversity,Lahore, from September, 2008 to November, 2008. A total of 50 strabismus patients 25 males, 25 females were selected with non probability convenient sampling method. Patient was seated at 6 meters’ distance from the target (Snellen’s Visual acuity (VA) chart) viewing a letter/picture 2 lines above the best corrected VA. Cover/uncover test done to check the type of strabismus present and deviation measured. Patient was further investigated for amblyopia and advised with management plan. Results: Out of total 50 patients (25 male and 25 female) 4 (8%) patients had amblyopia while 46 (96%) had no amblyopia. Of these 3 (6%) were male and 1 (2.0%) female. Conclusion And Discussion: This study co-relates well with other international studies. The overall prevalence for amblyopia in sample of 50 strabismus patients is 8%, which is very high and significant in strabismus patients. The prevalence of strabismic amblyopia in males (6%) is much greater than as compared to females (2%).